How to Avoid a Plumbing Emergency during Winter
Are you worried about your plumbing system as the holidays draw near? American Way is a trusted plumber in North NJ and we’re giving you some tips to avoid plumbing emergencies. We’ve witnessed firsthand the damage from a frozen pipe that burst but it can be prevented most of the time. Take it from our expert plumbers that it’s better to try preventative measures rather than hoping for the best.
Tips to prevent a plumbing emergency:
- Know where the main shut off valve is! You should always know where the water main shut off valve is in case there’s a burst pipe that leaks. This will help you avoid severe water damage.
- Disconnect all outdoor hoses! It’s important to remember to disconnect outdoor plumbing in order to avoid freezing pipes and faucets. You also want to make sure you drain the outdoor pipes and faucets so that no water gets trapped in the plumbing thus freezing and bursting later on.
- Insulate pipes! A safe way to keep your plumbing from being a disaster during the winter is by insulating the pipes. By doing this you can keep the pipes from freezing and ensure water flows without any issues.
- Sewer and drain cleaning! People often forget that the sewer and drains are a vital part of the plumbing system. If these get clogged with dirt and debris, the plumbing will get backed up and cause serious flooding and water damage. If you hire a professional for sewer and drain cleaning, it can remove any clog and ensure the plumbing is working efficiently.
- Clean out the garbage disposal! The garbage disposal is the most common plumbing fixture that often needs repair. With all the food scraps and grease that goes down the drain, it’s no wonder that the garbage disposal breaks down. If you clean out the garbage disposal you can prevent it breaking and causing a clog in your plumbing system.
- Open cabinet doors! One of the oldest plumbing tricks is to open the cabinet doors to any pipes. This could be the cabinets under the sink in the bathroom or kitchen. It may not seem like a permanent solution but overnight when it’s generally colder and you aren’t using the kitchen sink, it’s best to leave the cabinet door open. This way the heat airflow hits the pipes and keeps them from freezing.
How can American Way help?
If you need a reliable plumber to assist you with a plumbing emergency, contact American Way immediately! We work around the clock 24/7 and can offer plumbing repairs, replacements, installations, and cleaning. Give us a call and we can help you get your plumbing system ready for winter!
↓ Get A Free Quote Today! ↓
Our Service Areas
• Bergen County
• Essex County
• Hudson County
• Morris County
• Passaic County
• Union County